Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Making your own preserved lemons in 5 minutes or less

Spring and summer is always an exciting time to enjoy the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. It's also the cheapest time of the year to buy and preserve them for using them in winter. I started preserving my new batch of lemons as my last ones were really good and it's super easy to do. All you need are some clean airtight jars,water and salt. I cut my lemons into wedges but not all the way through so that you can fill it with salt and keep the lemons whole. Add the lemons into the jar and fill it up with water and and salt. I used filtered water to ensure that the water is as clean as possible. I made one jar with just salt and water and the other with some cloves, juniper berries and cinnamon. You could also use bay leaves and other herbs you have or like.


Once you filled the jar up with water, just screw it tight and store the jars in a cool dark place. I store mine in the bottom of my pantry cupboard. Remember to write a date on it to know when they are ready for use. It should take at least 3 weeks and only gets better with time. I use mine in Moroccan stews, dips and seafood. It's so easy to make and makes no sense to buy them from a shop because it's much more difficult to buy than to make your own. I love using my own sauces/ ingredient because I know exactly what went into the process.



Pin It

No comments: